Saturday 24 October 2015

Peppermint candy

Peppermint candy


                                        These candies were so cheap that I used to think that shopkeeper is either a big hearted man or he is in jolly mood that is why he's giving me a handful of peppermint candies for just a rupee. Their shape was very interesting just like slice of orange fruit. These peppermint has tangy citrus flavour that made me think that they are made from real oranges. But, soon I came to know, they are nothing but sugar boiled confections with artificial flavouring. As far as I remember, we used to get 8 units of peppermint toffee in one rupee, that is four units for 50 paise and one unit for 12.5 paise. Definitely, life was good and we were good in the matter of quantity.


                                         I want to share one of my delightful and one of the oldest memories; when my grandfather used to take me to a Pan Centre, which was next to the rail tracks where he use to buy himself a Pan and for me, he would get these peppermint candies wrapped in a piece of paper. We would sit there for a while to see a freight train pass by and I used to call it 'chuk chuk gaadi'. I use to enjoy my peppermint candies watching those long trains also I used to try counting the number of coaches of train but could not count them all because I didn't know numbers after 30 and those trains have 60 to 70 coaches. I can only imagine how young I was that time, still I remember this memory, I can say I have a sharp memory. Can't I?

No comments:

Post a Comment